This summer, Lawrence-Douglas County Sustainability is partnering with Teknix Solutions to organize an e-waste drop-off event open to all Douglas County residents.
Summer 2021 E-waste Event
Saturday, June 5th
HOURS: 8:30AM - 1PM*
LOCATION: University of Kansas Lot 301**
*Vehicles arrving after 1pm will not be able to enter the event.
**See below for directions.
Lists of accepted and non-accepted items are provided below.
- CRT recycling fees are CASH or CHECK ONLY. More information below.
- Household alkaline batteries* will NOT be accepted. Lawrence residents can make an appointment to take these to Household Hazardous Waste.
*We're talking about the collections of old, dead Duracell, Energizer and the like. The re-chargeable batteries in your gadgets are OK! Even if they no longer function!
Materials Accepted by Teknix Solutions:
- Anything with a cord or battery, including, but not limited to:
- computers*, laptops, monitors**, speakers, keyboards, mice, servers,
- microwaves, TVs**, gaming systems,
- light fixtures (not bulbs! see list below), (non-PCB) ballasts,
- steroes, radios, phones*, audio / visual equipment,
- lab equipment, cables, battery backup systems,
- other small appliances, and
- CDs, VHS and cassette tapes
*Teknix's certified equipment handlers take every precaution to guarantee data safety. Any equipment they receive is securely destroyed on site or wiped clean using NIST SP 800-88 standards.
**CRT TVs and monitors will be accepted for a fee (please note updated costs!): $20 per unit 19" or smaller; $40 per unit 20" or greater. Teknix will accept CASH or CHECK only!
Materials Not Accepted:
- Fire alarms, smoke detectors, thermometers
- All light bulbs, PCB ballasts,
- alkaline batteries (Lawrence residents can make an appointment to take these items to Household Hazardous Waste)
- chemicals of any kind, especially hazardous ones,
- tires, furniture,
- large applicances, and devices containing Freon
From 23rd St: Take Crestline North to the roundabout, enter Lot 301 on your Right.
From Iowa St: Go West on 19th St., Left on Constant Ave. Continue on Constant going Left OR take Becker Right. They will meet again at Crestline. Turn South on Crestline to the roundabout, enter Lot 301 to your East.
Also from Iowa St: Go West on 21st St., Left on Constant Ave. Turn South on Crestline to the roundabout, enter Lot 301 to your East.
Event Safety Protocols:
- The event will be organized in a drive-through set up to minimize personal contact.
- Masks are encouraged, but not required, when conversing with staff or volunteers.
- Please stay in your vehicle at all times. Staff and volunteers will unload your electronics.
You may direct questions to email@example.com* or 785-551-9436.
* Emails may not be answered after 5pm on Friday, June 4th. Please call or text the number above after this time.
Since 2008, the City of Lawrence and Douglas County have hosted periodic electronics recycling events, inviting customers to drop off their recyclable electronics free of charge.
With the exception of 2020, the numbers in the table below reflect the totals from two electronics recycling events per year. Events that also collected paper for shredding are in parenthesis.