This fall, Douglas County is partnering with Teknix Solutions to organize an e-waste drop-off event open to all Douglas County residents.
Fall 2020 e-waste Event
Saturday, October 24th
University of Kansas Lot 301
NW Corner of Iowa Street and Clinton Parkway
Vehicles should enter from Clinton Parkway onto Crestline Drive.
Lists of accepted and non-accepted items are provided below.
NOTE: CRT recycling fees are CASH or CHECK ONLY! More information below.
The event will be organized in a drive-through set up to minimize personal contact.
You may direct questions to email@example.com or 785-832-5157.
Materials Accepted by Teknix Solutions:
- Anything with a cord or battery, including, but not limited to:
- computers*, laptops, monitors**, speakers, keyboards, mice, servers,
- microwaves, TVs**, gaming systems,
- light fixtures (not bulbs! see list below), (non-PCB) ballasts,
- steroes, radios, phones*, audio / visual equipment,
- lab equipment, cables, battery backup systems,
- other small appliances, and
- CDs, VHS and cassette tapes
*Teknix's certified equipment handlers take every precaution to guarantee data safety. Any equipment they receive is securely destroyed on site or wiped clean using NIST SP 800-88 standards.
**CRT TVs and monitors will be accepted for a fee: $15 per unit 19" or smaller; $30 per unit 20" or greater. Teknix will accept CASH or CHECK only!
Materials Not Accepted:
- Fire alarms, smoke detectors, thermometers
- All light bulbs, PCB ballasts,
- alkaline batteries
- chemicals of any kind, especially hazardous ones,
- tires, furniture,
- large applicances, and devices containing Freon
Since 2008, the City of Lawrence had hosted periodic electronics recycling events, inviting customers to drop off their recyclable electronics free of charge. The fall 2018 event was provided by Teknix Solutions, and saw a total of 751 vehicles drop off 62,397 pounds of electronics for recycling.
The numbers in the table below reflect the totals from two electronics recycling events per year. Events that also collected paper for shredding are in parenthesis.