- Douglas County Kansas was founded August 25, 1855.
- Construction of the historic county courthouse began early in 1903, and ended in January of 1905.
- According to the U.S. Census Bureau's 2010 report:
- Douglas County's population = 110,826
- Land area in square miles = 455.87
- People per square mile = 243.1
Named In Honor Of...
Douglas County was named in honor of Stephen A. Douglas, United States Senator from Illinois, and candidate for the presidency in 1860. As a Senator in 1854, Douglas took a leading part in securing the adoption of the "popular sovereignty" principle in the Act organizing Kansas Territory, which gave the particular form of the issue involved in the Kansas struggle.
Learn more here about the names of cities in Douglas County.
Founded in August 25, 1855, Douglas County was one of the first counties organized in Kansas and, for many years, was one of the most populace and wealthy counties in the state. But it still did not have a courthouse at the close of the 19th century.
Read More about the history of Douglas County Courthouse.
Baldwin City is located in Southeast Douglas County, Kansas.
Street Address: 803 8th Street, Baldwin City, KS 66006, USA
Phone Number(s): 785-594-6427
Eudora is located in Eastern Douglas County, Kansas.
Street Address: 4 East 7th Street, Eudora, KS 66025, USA
Phone Number(s): 785-542-2153
Lawrence is located in Northern Douglas County, Kansas.
Street Address: 6 East 6th Street, Lawrence, KS 66044, USA
Phone Number(s): 785-832-3000