Can I build a second house on my property?

Only one residence is allowed per land tract.

A recent change to the zoning regulations has allowed an option to create additional housing while maintaining the rural character of unincorporated Douglas County. Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU) are intended to provide an independent living area for residents with health issues or disabilities, in close proximity to a caretaker, and provide housing for persons employed on a farm.

To determine if you qualify for an ADU, we recommend calling our office so staff can meet with you individually to determine if your property qualifies. For general questions, you can call or email us.