Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Info 211

How Do I...


Small Claims FAQ

How can I contest a garnishment against my wages and/or bank account?

You should fill out the Notice to Defendant (Earnings or Non-earnings) that accompanies the Order of Garnishment sent to your employer and/or bank and file it in the District Court division your case is assigned to. If you did not receive the Notice to Defendant from your employer or your bank, you should contact the plaintiff's attorney to obtain one. Once the Notice to Defendant is filed, a judge will determine if a hearing date should be set. You may want to consult an attorney on how to contest a garnishment. 

How do I file a small claims case?

Small claims cases are filed in the Clerk's office, using forms available in the lobby and online at Small Claims. An instruction booklet, which details filing and post-judgment procedures, can be obtained in the Clerk's office. The maximum dollar value that can be requested in a small claims case is $4000, and the amount of the filing fee depends on the amount of damages for which you are suing. For damages up to $500, the filing fee is $49. For damages of $500.01 - $4000, the filing fee is $69.