Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Info 211

How Do I...


District Court Services FAQ

How can I contest a garnishment against my wages and/or bank account?

You should fill out the Notice to Defendant (Earnings or Non-earnings) that accompanies the Order of Garnishment sent to your employer and/or bank and file it in the District Court division your case is assigned to. If you did not receive the Notice to Defendant from your employer or your bank, you should contact the plaintiff's attorney to obtain one. Once the Notice to Defendant is filed, a judge will determine if a hearing date should be set. You may want to consult an attorney on how to contest a garnishment. 

How often do CRB's meet?

Each of the boards meet one time per month. A different Citizen Review Board meets every Wednesday of the month.  The review times  times are from 2:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m..  Generally three different families meet with the CRB assigned to them in that time frame.

I have a disability that makes it hard for me to see (or hear or move about); can I get help when I appear in court?

Yes. The Court is required and committed to provide equal access to justice, including by accommodating disabilities. If you know the division in which you will appear, contact the administrative assistant in the appropriate division. Otherwise, please contact the Court Administrator, Linda Koester-Vogelsang, at 785-832-5264 or

What is an expungement?

An expungement is the legal process of asking a judge to seal the court record of a previous criminal (or juvenile) offense. It is important to remember that, in Kansas, an expunged record is NOT destroyed. The police, FBI, immigration officers, and other public officials may still see sealed court files for certain purposes. 


What is Citizen Review Board?

The office of the Douglas County Citizen Review Boards (CRBs) operates a set of six volunteer boards that review Juvenile Court cases involving children in need of care or juvenile offenders. The boards make recommendations to the juvenile court with the goals of providing safe, permanent homes to endangered children and of reducing recidivism among juvenile offenders.

What services will be provided?

The District Court Trustee is responsible for all matters relating to the establishment, modification, and enforcement of support orders issued by the Douglas County District Court. The District Court Trustee is empowered to pursue all civil remedies which would be available to a recipient in this regard. Criminal referrals can be directed to the District Attorney if necessary. Parent visitation and support matters will be heard by a District Court Judge Pro Tem when possible to provide quick and easy access to the Court for all parties.

When did the office open?

The office opened on May 1, 1995. All orders for support entered effective January 1, 1995, require the District Court Trustee to provide enforcement services for the case. Payments are to be made through the Kansas Payment Center, and are disbursed within 48 hours of receipt. 

Where would I acquire online/printable versions of forms and documents related to child support, parenting time/visitation and other services offered by the District Court Trustee?

Printable versions of forms and documents related to child support, parenting time/visitation, and other services offered by the District Court Trustee can be acquired on line by visiting the Court Trustee Documents page. You can also obtain copies of all forms and documents by visiting the Trustee in person.  

Which cases are handled and what is the fee?

For any new or modified support order entered on or after January 1, 1995, the District Court Trustee will automatically provide enforcement services. A mandatory fee of 5% will be deducted from support collected to defray the expenses of the office. In most instances, the value of the services provided will exceed the cost. The cost of the 5% fee is divided equally between the parties pursuant to the Kansas Child Support Guidelines.