All Douglas County residents who are at least 18 years of age and United States citizens are eligible for jury service. Jurors must complete a questionnaire when they are summoned for jury duty. Jurors should complete their questionnaire with utmost accuracy and honesty to determine their eligibility to serve as a juror.
Under Kansas law and local court rule, the following persons shall be excused from jury service:
- Persons unable to understand the English language with a degree of proficiency sufficient to respond to a jury questionnaire form prepared by the commissioner;
- persons under adjudication of incompetency;
- persons who within 10 years immediately preceding have been convicted of or pleaded guilty, or nolo contendere, to an indictment or information charging a felony;
- persons who have served as jurors in the county within two years immediately preceding; and
- a mother breastfeeding her child. Jury service shall be postponed until such mother is no longer breastfeeding the child.
Excusals from jury service may be granted due to medical reasons upon providing documentation. Requests for excusals due to extraordinary hardships may be granted by a judge. Jurors over the age of 70 may be permanently excused upon request without requiring documentation.
All eligible jurors may have their jury service postponed up to two times within a 12 month period. Jurors seeking a postponement or excusal from jury service must complete the appropriate section on their questionnaires. Those with scheduling concerns regarding work, school, or childcare will not receive an automatic excusal, as this would exclude a significant portion of the population base, and our jury pool would not truly be representative of our community. Jurors are responsible for arranging child care if they are called for jury duty.
No postponements or excusals will be granted over the phone.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you have questions regarding jury service, please contact the jury coordinator at 785-832-5213 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jury Service & COVID
The court is taking steps towards ensuring the health and safety of the jurors while reporting for jury service. Please view the video below about reporting for jury trials during pandemic conditions. If you have questions regarding jury service during pandemic conditions, please contact the jury coordinator at 785-832-5213 or at email@example.com.