Help create a vision for our local food system! The Douglas County Food Policy Council (DCFPC) is holding a series of Community Conversations to inform a countywide Food System Plan.
All residents of Douglas County are encouraged to participate. The events will include a presentation of findings from recent focus groups, a community survey, and other research. The survey asked about the local shopping, eating, and cooking experiences of residents. We will then discuss next steps to take on identified food system issues, including access to healthy food, agricultural land preservation, and economic development.
The results and community priorities will be discussed at five community meetings in November.
- Thursday, November 10, 6:00pm to 7:30pm: Lecompton Community Building, Lecompton
- Saturday, November 12, 10:00am to 11:00am: Union Pacific Depot, Lawrence
- Monday, November 14, 6:00pm to 7:30pm: Douglas Co. Fairgrounds, Meeting Hall, Lawrence
- Tuesday, November 15, 6:30pm to 8:00pm: Community Center, Eudora
- Wednesday, November 16, 6:00pm to 7:30pm: Lumber Arts Yard, Baldwin City
A fully-drafted food plan will be completed in January 2017, and then brought to the City and County Commissions for adoption.
Additional information about the Food System Plan can be found at https://www.douglascountyks.org/fpc/food-system-plan
The Food Policy Council is a 23-member advisory body that advises the Douglas County Commission and Lawrence City Commission on policies to strengthen the local food economy. http://douglascountyks.org/fpc/
Contact: Helen Schnoes, Food Systems Coordinator, (785) 551-9436