- Pledge of Allegiance
- Consider approval of minutes of July 9, August 13, August 18, August 20, August 29, September 3, September 8, September 9, September 17, and September 29, 2003
- Proclaim the week of October 5-11, 2003 as "National 4-H Week" (Pam Heikes)
- Proclaim Friday, October 10, 2003 as "Put the Brakes on Fatalities Day in Douglas County" (Traffic Safety Advisory Committee)
(1) (a) Consider approval of Commission Orders
(b) Consider approval of Agreement for Phase I Engineering Services for Project No. 23 C-3890-01, the replacement of Route 1055 bridge 3/4 mile south of Route 458 (Keith Browning)
(2) Consider approval of Agreement with City of Lawrence and Kansas Turnpike Authority for replacement of Kasold (Route 438) Bridge over the Kansas Turnpike (Keith Browning)
(3) Consider approval of maintenance contract for 911 telephone system (Jim Denney)
(4) Discussion of issues to be faced over the next year (Craig Weinaug)
(5) Other Business
(a) Consider approval of Accounts Payable (if necessary)
(d) Public Comment
Johnson called meeting to order at 6:35 P.M. on Wednesday, October 8, 2003, with all members present. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Johnson moved approval of the minutes of July 9, August 13, August 18, August 20, August 29, September 3, September 8, September 9, September 17, and September 29, as amended. Motion was seconded by Jones and carried unanimously.
Johnson introduced Max Phillips, the representative from Lawrence High School.
Reagan Heikes read a proclamation proclaiming October 5-11, 2003 as "National 4-H Week" in Douglas County. Jones moved approval of the proclamation as read; McElhaney seconded and the motion carried unanimously.
Johnson read a proclamation proclaiming Friday, October 10, 2003 as "Put the Brakes on Fatalities Day in Douglas County." McElhaney made a motion to adopt the proclamation as read, seconded by Jones and carried unanimously. The Board directed Keith Browning, Director of Public Works/County Engineer, to extend the Board's appreciation to the Traffic Safety Advisory Committee.
CONSENT AGENDA 10-08-03
Jones moved approval of the following Consent Agenda:
- Approve Commissioners Order No. 5165. Order is on file in the office of the County Clerk;
- Note receipt of fee reports for the month of August 2003;
- Approve Agreement for with Finney & Turnipseed Transportation and Civil Engineering, L.L.P. for Phase 1 consulting engineering services for Project No. 23 C-3890-01 -- Bridge No. 09.24-16.00 at a lump sum cost of $6,750; and
- Renew the 911 telephone system maintenance contract with Nine One One, Inc. in the amount of $10,560.
Motion was seconded by McElhaney and carried unanimously.
AGREEMENTS & PUBLIC WORKS 10-08-03
The Board considered approval of an agreement with the City of Lawrence and Kansas Turnpike Authority (KTA) for the replacement of the Kasold (Route 438) bridge over the Kansas Turnpike. Keith Browning, Director of Public Works/County Engineer, presented this item. Browning explained that Douglas County and the KTA have an existing agreement concerning the referenced bridge that stipulates the County is responsible for maintenance of the bridge deck and approach roadways and KTA is responsible for maintenance of the superstructure and substructure of the bridge. The agreement also stipulates that when the bridge needs to be replaced, the County will provide 80% of construction costs with the County's obligation authority of federal funds. The bridge is in need of replacement.
The City of Lawrence has an interest in this bridge since it is anticipated that the city limits will expand north of the bridge during the life of the new bridge. The City wants to ensure that the bridge will meet the needs of the City well into the future, i.e., four lanes with sidewalks on both sides. The KTA is planning a future expansion of the turnpike to six lanes, and therefore wants to ensure the replacement bridge meets their needs.
The City has available federal funding obligation authority to contribute to this project. The agreement stipulates that the City will contribute federal funds to cover 80% of the construction and construction engineering costs for replacing the bridge. The remaining 20% local match required would be shared by the KTA (58%) and the County (42%). Under terms of the agreement, the KTA and the County would also share costs of design engineering by the same percentages, 58% by KTA and 42% by County. The County would be responsible for 100% of the costs for right-of-way and easement acquisitions required and for 100% of utility relocation costs.
The City has placed this project on its Five Year Plan for federally funded projects. It is currently scheduled for an October 2005 bid letting.
McElhaney made a motion to approve the agreement with the City of Lawrence and Kansas Turnpike Authority for the replacement of the Kasold (Route 438) bridge over the Kansas Turnpike. Jones seconded and the motion carried unanimously.
The Board discussed issues to be faced over the next year. Craig Weinaug, County Administrator, presented this item. No action was taken.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE 10-08-03
Jones moved approval of accounts payable in the amount of $127,077.75 to be paid 10/6/03; accounts payable manual checks in the amount of $766.00; payroll in the amount of $571,766.98; and electronic funds transfers in the amounts of $42,191.80 for FICA and $33,479.65 for KPERS to be paid 10/3/03. Motion was seconded by McElhaney and carried unanimously.
Jones moved for adjournment. McElhaney seconded and the motion carried.
Bob Johnson, Chairman Jere McElhaney, Member
Patty Jaimes, County Clerk Charles Jones, Member