- Pledge of Allegiance
- Consider approval of minutes of March 24, April 23, and June 9, 2003
(1) (a) Consider approval of Commission Orders
(2) Consider recommendation of contract award for long distance (Jackie Waggoner)
(3) Budget Hearings:
- Presentation of Budget Overview (Craig Weinaug)
- Partnership for Youth (Jody Johnson)
- Independence, Inc. (Sidney Hargrave)
- Bert Nash (Dave Johnson)
- Douglas County Extension Service (Trudy Rice)
- Visiting Nurses Association (Jan Jenkins)
- Fire Rescue (Chief McSwain)
- Public Works (Keith Browning)
- Sheriff's (Sheriff Trapp)
- Emergency Communications (Jim Denney)
- Court Services (Linda Koester-Vogelsang)
- Community Corrections (Ron Stegall)
- Watkins Museum (tentative)(Rebecca Phipps)
- Various administrative issues including:
- Upcoming software and hardware needs to meet future state and federal mandates for CAMA (Appraiser), new automated voting requirements (Clerk), and the District Attorney's Office
- Equipment Reserve Funds
(4) Other Business
(a) Consider approval of Accounts Payable (if necessary)
(d) Public Comment
Chairman Johnson called the meeting to order at 1:09 P.M. on Monday, June 23, 2003. All members were present. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Jones made a motion to approve the minutes of March 24, April 23, and June 9, 2003. McElhaney seconded and the motion carried unanimously.
CONSENT AGENDA 06-23-03
McElhaney made a motion to approve the following Consent Agenda:
- Approve Commissioners Order No. 5145. Order is on file in the office of the County Clerk.
Motion was seconded by Jones and carried unanimously.
PURCHASING & CONTRACTS 06-23-03
The Board discussed the recommendation of the contract award for long distance services. Jackie Waggoner, Purchasing Agent, was present for the discussion. On May 12, 2003, the Board authorized staff to negotiate with SBC Global Services for long distance services. Committee members from the City of Lawrence, Lawrence Public Schools, and Douglas County met and finalized a contract with SBC Global Services. The following table outlines the negotiated items to be incorporated in the contract:
Intrastate Rate: .07/minute
Intrastate Rate: .068/minute
|Three entities included in SBC's proposal||Lawrence Public Schools chose to not participate in the contract at this time|
|Annual commitment of $30,000 (collectively from three entities -- Douglas County, City of Lawrence, and Lawrence Public Schools). Receive a $5,000 customer loyalty payment to be shared.||Waive customer loyalty payment to establish lower rates. Based upon participation by Douglas County and the City of Lawrence, would require a minimum annual commitment of $12,000 for both agencies|
Jones made the motion to approve the contract for long distance services with SBC Global Services. Motion was seconded by McElhaney and carried unanimously.
The Board conducted budget hearings. No action was taken.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE 06-23-03
Jones moved approval of accounts payable in the amount of $321,122.91 to be paid 6/23/03. Motion was seconded by McElhaney and carried unanimously.
Jones moved for adjournment; McElhaney seconded and the motion carried unanimously.
Bob Johnson, Chairman Jere McElhaney, Member
Patty Jaimes, County Clerk Charles Jones, Member