Chairman McElhaney called the meeting to order at 9:09 A.M. on Monday, March 11, 2002, with all members present. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Jones moved approval of the minutes of October 23, October 24, and October 25, 2001. Johnson seconded and the motion carried unanimously.
CONSENT AGENDA 03-11-02
Jones moved approval of the following Consent Agenda:
- Approve Commissioners Order No. 5006. Order is on file in the office of the County Clerk;
- Authorize Notice to Clinton Township for cereal malt beverage license for Clinton Store;
- Approve the eight (8) Out-District College Tuition Statements in the amount of $4,128;
- Approve the Township Annual Reports for 2001;
- Approve Resolution No. 02-06 ordering the reapportionment of County Commissioner Districts in Douglas County, Kansas; and
- Approve the following bids for various signs, posts, and miscellaneous materials for county and township use:
Vulcan Signs $1,812.67
Donalyn Company 760.60
Custom Products 2,802.00
Rocal, Inc. 1,352.00
3M Company 800.00
Motion was seconded by Johnson and carried unanimously.
The Board discussed House Bill 2828. This bill would give the County Commission the option to call an election to levy a temporary sales tax to finance industrial development and open space. Tim Holverson, Vice President of Public Policy and Bill Sepic, President and CEO, of the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce, and Kelvin Heck spoke in favor of the bill. Don Cashatt spoke in opposition. Jones made a motion to support an amended version of House Bill 2828. Johnson seconded and the motion carried. Jones and Johnson voted yea; McElhaney voted nay.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY & PURCHASING 03-11-02
The Board discussed personal computer purchases for 2002. No action was taken.
Johnson made a motion to appoint Judy Culley, Director of The Shelter, Inc., to the Community Corrections Advisory Board for a two-year term which shall expire in April 2004. Motion was seconded by Jones and carried unanimously.
YOUTH SERVICES AND CONTRACTS 03-11-02
Jones made a motion to waive the bid process and authorize McElhaney to approve change orders for the roof repair/replacement at Youth Services. Johnson seconded and the motion carried unanimously.
McElhaney moved for adjournment; Jones seconded and the motion carried.
Jere McElhaney, Chairman Bob Johnson, Member
Patty Jaimes, County Clerk Charles Jones, Member