Thank you for your interest in the Heritage Conservation Council. We are currently in a transition to a new Heritage Coordinator and appreciate your patience while everyone is getting up to speed.
The tentative date for the 2023 Natural & Cultural Heritage Grant program to launch is March 1st. The new guidelines and online application will be available on the HCC website: https://www.douglascountyks.org/hcc/heritage-preservation-grants Stay tuned to Douglas County communication outlets for more information!
If you are a current grant recipient or project partner, please reach out to Management Analyst, Zaynah Afada (email@example.com), with your inquiries.
The Heritage Conservation Council
The Heritage Conservation Council of Douglas County promotes the conservation of our cultural and natural heritage to honor our past, enrich our present, and inspire our future. They make recommendations to the Douglas County Commission on how to best establish a framework to conserve our natural & cultural heritage for future generations and to enhance economic benefits of tourism, local agriculture, and other endeavors based on such conservation efforts.
The Heritage Conservation Coucil works to:
- Ensure the conservation of the County’s natural and cultural resources.
- Identify, conserve and promote the County's natural resources, prehistoric, historic and cultural heritage through ongoing surveys and studies of natural and cultural heritage resources.
- Implement the strategies and goals identified for the protection, development and utilization of heritage resources as defined in the County Comprehensive Plan.
- Foster civic pride and promote tourism, particularly as related to the natural resources, pre-settlement history, settlement history, and the themes encompassed in Freedom’s Frontier National Heritage Area.
- Work in concert with the State Historic Preservation Officer and observe the State Preservation Act.
- Support education programs to increase public awareness of and support for the County’s historic environment.
- Administer the Douglas County Natural and Cultural Heritage Grant program.
- Monitor the ongoing inventory of natural and cultural resources.
- Pursue the designation of Douglas County as a Certified Local Government (CLG).
- Adopt its own operational procedures.
- Carry out any other task assigned by the Douglas County Commission.
Heritage Conservation Council
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
Upcoming HCC Meetings & Events
Thursday, February 2 at 7pm- HCC Monthly Meeting via Zoom (see link above)
For more information about the establishment of the HCC and the Statement of Purpose see the Douglas County Code Chapter 14: Heritage Conservation Plan and the resources below:
Natural Cultural Heritage Taskforce Final Report (PDF format)
HCC Resolution 11-19 (PDF format)
*14-103. The Heritage Conservation Plan is designed to be used in the unincorporated territory of Douglas County, Kansas and is to be used in conjunction with any existing zoning regulations. (HR-13-11-4)