Upon Adoption of the Douglas County Food System Plan in summer 2017, the Food Policy Council established a new set of priorities that target several of the policy action items listed within the plan. (The Plan is organized by Goal --> Objective --> Policy Action Item.) The Council reassesses these priorities at each retreat. Learn more below and reach out to us if you're interested in engaging with us or have a question!
Some current Council priorities include:
- Increase clarity about small business opportunities in agritourism
- Reduce barriers to success for small-scale, ethnic food retailers
- Expand food recovery throughout Douglas County
- Strengthen Common Ground, the Lawrence community garden program
- Support efforts to establish a permanent location for the Lawrence Farmers Market