Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Information for Residential Owners/Renters and Small Businesses

Flood Zone Information

  • If you are not sure if your property is located in a FEMA designated Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), you may request a written determination.  You may complete the online "Flood Zone Information Request Form" and submit it to the Douglas County Zoning & Codes Department or contact us at 785.331.1343.

If you wish to make your own determination, you can view FEMA flood hazard maps online at the FEMA Map Service Center.  You do not need an account to get flood zone information - just type in your address on the left side of the page under "Product Search".  On the next page, click "View" to get the flood map of the area.

Flood Insurance

  • Homeowner's policies do not cover flood damage.
  • All property owners and renters in Douglas County can buy flood insurance.
  • Homes and businesses in low-to-moderate risk flood areas may be eligible for low-cost Preferred Risk Policies.
  • Insurance for building and contents or contents only is available.
  • If your property is located with a FEMA Special Flood Hazard Area, federal law requires that a flood insurance policy be obtained as a condition of a federally backed mortgage or loan that is secured by the structure.  It is up to the mortgage lender to determine whether flood insurance is required for a property.
  • Douglas County participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) .  The NFIP makes federally backed flood insurance available to homeowners, renters and business owners in our community.  If you do not have flood insurance, contact your property/casualty agent or broker about flood insurance eligibility, rates and coverage.
  • Homeowner's insurance policies do not cover damage from floods. Don't wait for the next flood to buy insurance protection.  There is a 30 day waiting period before National Flood Insurance coverage takes effect.
  • Up to a total of $1 million in flood insurance coverage is available for non-residential buildings and contents.
  • To learn more about the National  Flood Insurance Program, visit