Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Flood Zone Determination

Information regarding Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA) flood zone determinations in unincorporated areas is available from the County's GIS mapping system.  Also, you may access the flood zone maps through the FEMA Map Service Center.  You do not need an account to get flood zone information - just type in your address on the left-side of the page under "Product Search". On the next page, click "View" to get the flood map of the area.  Additionally, structures located in the SFHA may have an Elevation Certificate completed if it was built after a SFHA designation.  This information is also available at the Douglas County's Zoning & Codes department.

If you are not sure if your property is located in a FEMA designated SFHA (1% or 100-year floodplain), you may request a written determination.  You may complete the Flood Zone Information Request Form and submit it to the Zoning & Codes Department, as instructed on the form, or contact us at 785.331.1343.

Another resource for GIS mapping system is located with the State of Kansas Department of Agriculture Division of Water Resources.  There is a tutorial on this website to help you navigate around the State of Kansas GIS Floodplain Mapping system. The State's mapping system keeps records of all approved Letter of Map Changes and Letter of Map Amendments.


This is a map of Douglas County depicting parcels with floodplain and floodway areas.