Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Elevation Certificate

What is an Elevation Certificate?

The Flood Elevation Certificate is an important tool of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). It is used to certify building elevations if the building is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area in order to:

  • Determine the proper flood insurance premium rate for the building.
  • Support a request of a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) or Letter of Map Revision based on fill (LOMR-F).
    • Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) is an official amendment, by letter, to an effective National Insurance Program (NFIP) map. A LOMA establishes a property's location in relation to the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). LOMAs are usually issued because a property has been inadvertently mapped as being in the floodplain, but is actually on a natural high ground above the base flood elevation. LOMA'S may be filed electronically through eLOMA or by mail.
    • Letter of Map Revision based on Fill (LOMR-F) applies to situations where fill material (which in most cases would be fill-dirt) has been placed AFTER the first floodplain map of the area was established.  If an existing home, structure, or portions of a property are higher than flood elevations, a LOMR-F can be used to remove those structures or portions of property form FEMA flood status.  Also, a user's guide is available LOMR-F Tutorial .  Additional information about SFHA designations is available at FEMA's website:
    • Letter of Map Amendment on Floodway (LOMR-FW)

The elevation information must be submitted on the Elevation Certificate (FEMA Form 086-0-33) in effect at the time that the Elevation Certificate was completed and signed. Elevation Certificates can only be completed by a land surveyor, engineer, or architect who is licensed by the State to perform such functions.  Here is the fillable version of the Elevation Certificate form .