Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Flood Insurance Information


  1. Everyone lives in a flood zone.
  2. Homeowner’s policies do not cover flood damage.
  3. All Property owners and renters in Douglas County can buy flood insurance.
  4. Homes and businesses in low-to-moderate risk flood areas may be eligible for low-cost Preferred Risk Policies.
  5. Insurance for building and contents or contents only is available.
  6. Up to a total of $1 million in flood insurance coverage is available for non-residential buildings and content.
  7. There is usually a 30-day waiting period before coverage goes into effect.

Information regarding the National Flood Insurance Program  (NFIP) is available though the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and local governments participating in that program.

To learn more about the NFIP, visit

Douglas County participates in the NFIP, thereby providing homeowners, renters and business owners in our community with access to federally-backed flood insurance. By implementing floodplain management activities, residents of Douglas County's unincorporated areas qualify for a flood insurance premium rate reductions.  If your property is located within one of the County's incorporated cities, you should contact that jurisdiction for information on their participation in the NFIP.

  • City of Baldwin, City Hall, 803 Eighth Street, Baldwin City, KS  66006  Phone:  785.594.6427 | Fax:  785-594-6586
  • City of Eudora, City Office, 4 East Seventh Street, Eudora, KS  66025  Phone:  785-542-2153 | Fax:  785.542.1237
  • City of Lawrence, City Hall, 6 East 6th Street, Lawrence, KS  66044  Phone:  785.832-3000 (Switchboard)
  • City of Lecompton, City Office, 327 Elmore Street, Lecompton, KS  66050  Phone:  785.887.6407 | Fax:  785.887-6531

Federal Law requires that a flood insurance policy be obtained as a condition of a federally backed mortgage or loan that is secured by the structure.  It is up to the lender to determine whether flood insurance is required for a property.  If you have learned that you are required to obtain flood insurance, or if you are not sure if your property is located in a FEMA designated Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), you may request a written determination.  You may complete the "Flood Zone Information Request Form" and submit it to the Douglas County Zoning & Codes Department.

Homeowner's insurance policies do not cover damage from floods. You should consider obtaining flood insurance, even if it hasn't been required by your mortgage lender. Because Douglas County participates in the NFIP, you can purchase a separate flood insurance policy.  Don't wait for the next flood to buy insurance protection.  There is a 30 day waiting period before National Flood Insurance coverage takes effect. Contact your insurance agent for more information on rates and coverage.


Douglas County participates in the Community Rating System (CRS) for the unincorporated areas. As a Class 8 community, flood insurance policyholders receive a 10% discount on their premiums.

For more information on flood insurance, please call NFIP assistance at 1.888.379.9531.

Additional Resources: