Flood Zone Information
- If you are not sure if your property is located in a FEMA designated Special Flood Hazard Area, you may a request a written determination. You may complete the online "Flood Zone Information Request Form" and submit it to the Douglas County Zoning & Codes Department or contact us at 785.331.1343.
If you wish to make a determination for yourself, you can view FEMA flood hazard maps at the Douglas County Zoning & Codes Department. Or you can access floodplain maps online at the FEMA Map Service Center. You do not need an account to get flood zone information.
- If your property is located within a FEMA Special Flood Hazard Area, Federal Law requires that a flood insurance policy be obtained as a condition of a federally backed mortgage or loan that is secured by the structure. It is up to the lender to determine whether flood insurance is required for a property. If you have learned that you are required to obtain flood insurance, or if you are not sure if your property is located in a FEMA designated Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), you may request a written determination. You may complete the "Flood Zone Information Request Form" and submit it to the Douglas County Zoning & Codes Department.
Homeowner's insurance policies do not cover damage from floods. You should consider obtaining flood insurance, even if it hasn't been required by your mortgage lender. Because Douglas County participates in the NFIP, you can purchase a separate flood insurance policy. Don't wait for the next flood to buy insurance protection. There is a 30 day waiting period before National Flood Insurance coverage takes effect. Contact your insurance agent for more information on rates and coverage.
For more information on flood insurance, please call NFIP assistance at 1.888.379.9531.
Residential Coverage Protect Yourself with Flood Insurance
Preferred Risk Policy Eligibility Extension New Low-Cost Flood Insurance Option For Your Community
- Cheaper Flood Insurance 5 Ways to Lower the cost of Your Flood Insurance Premium
- FEMA'S National Official Map Service FEMA'S web map site for LOMAs and LOMRs
- Kansas Floodplain Management Tips Floodplain Tips from the State of Kansas Department of Agriculture Division