Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Information for Engineers, Surveyors and Architects

All development and grading in the floodplain (not just structures) requires local permits.  Be sure to contact the Douglas County Zoning Office to discuss applicable requirements.

The County's Floodplain Management Regulations (Chapter 12-328), defines development requirements within floodplains and floodways to promote public health and safety, to minimize flood losses. Adopted County Building Codes includes structural requirements applicable to development in these areas.

An Elevation Certificate (EC) is an important administrative tool of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).  It is to be used to provide elevation information necessary to ensure compliance with the Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance, to determine the proper flood insurance premium rate, and to support a request for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) or Letter of Map Revision based on Fill (LOMR-F).  The Elevation Certificate is required in order to properly rate post-FIRM buildings or substantially improved structures.  You may learn more about Elevation Certificates by visiting FEMA's Overview of the NFIP Elevation Certificate.

A LOMA or LOMR-F are documents that FEMA can issue that officially remove a property and/or structure from the Special Flood Hazard Area (1% or 100 year floodplain) depicted on the Flood Insurance Rate Maps.  A LOMA or LOMR-F request must include certain mapping and survey information for FEMA's consideration.  Specific requirements relating to this process can be found on FEMA's website for letter of map amendments and letter of map revisions.

Elevation benchmarks in proximity to Special Flood Hazard Areas in Douglas County are mapped for your convenience.  Monument reference numbers shown thereon are those used in the National Geodetic Survey Datasheets, where additional information is provided.

FEMA has numerous helpful resources available on their website, including information specifically directed to Engineers, Surveyors, and Architects.  More information is available on FEMA'S website for Engineers, Surveyors & Architects.

Other FEMA provided information links: