To Register a Newly Purchased Vehicle:
|Original Title||The original must be presented, we can not accept a copy|
|VIN Inspection from Kansas Highway Patrol||An inspection is needed when the title is from another state regardless of where the vehicle was purcahsed. For more information, visit Vehicle Inspections|
|Proof of insurance||Copy of insurance card with insurance provider, policy #, and expiration date, we do accept insurance on cell phones|
|Power of Attorney||Required if both owners cannot be present for joint title and registration.|
|Sales Tax Receipts||Required if purchased from a licensed Kansas dealer|
|Bill of Sale||Required only if purchase price and purchase date are not listed on the title, or if purchased from an out of state dealer or purchase price and date are altered/illegible.|
|Lien Release||Required if the current title shows a lien and you have paid off the loan or a loan is listed on the title under the seller's name.|
|Certificate of Trust||Required when titling a vehicle into a Trust name.|
*This is not an all-inclusive list, and additional documents may be required for specific transactions. Please contact the Motor Vehicle office with questions.
If you go to a motor vehicle office:
- Secure a place in line with our queueing system: No Wait Inside
- You will receive a text message notifying you that you joined the line, reply back when you have arrived at the correct location.
- Please bring required documents.
- Pay by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover), check, money order or cashier’s check.
- There is a convenience fee (2.35%) charged by the credit card payment processor.
- There will be a $30 service charge for each returned check.
- Must have ID to pay by card
If you use the title drop off service:
- Sign the Title and Registration Manual Application
- Take your envelope with all the required documents and place it in one of our convenient and secure drop boxes.
- You can also mail envelopes to Douglas County Treasurer's Office, P.O. Box 884, Lawrence, KS 66044