Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Getting a Vehicle Title

First-time motor vehicle registrations in Douglas County, Kansas.

If you have recently purchased a new/used vehicle and are a Kansas resident, you will need to make application for the Kansas title and registration within 60 days from the purchase date shown on the back of the title. To do so, you will need to take the following documents to any one of our locations. The main office (1100 Massachusetts Street, 1st level, Lawrence, KS 66044) or the Satellite Locations:

  1. A properly assigned Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) or valid title and any other documents from the dealer or previous owner.
  2. The VIN inspection, if applicable.
  3. Current insurance information for the new vehicle
  4. Bill of Sale (if not on the title), an Invoice if purchased from an Out of State Dealer, or a Sales tax receipt if purchased from a Kansas Dealer.
  5. Lien release, if the front of the title shows a previous lienholder
  6. Previous registration receipt if transferring a tag from a disposed of vehicle

    Both owners of the vehicle will need to come in if the title reads 'and' or has no designation between the names.

    You may be able to transfer a license plate from a vehicle you no longer own if the plate is current and the names are staying the same. You will need to bring in the current registration for the vehicle traded, sold, or repossessed. If you do not have the registration one can be purchased for $1.00 at the time you register the new vehicle.

To calculate your personal property taxes, registration fees, title fees, and other fees please visit New Vehicle Purchase.

The information above is in no way ALL you will need when you come in to register the vehicle. There are other situations and problems that cannot be foreseen.

If you have any questions, please contact our office at 785-832-5273, or check our FAQ.

If you have recently moved to Kansas, you must apply for a Kansas title and registration for your vehicle within 90 days from establishing residency. You can apply at any of our locations, including the Satellite Locations. The following documents are required:

  1. Your out of state title and the VIN inspection receipt (If your title is being held by your lienholder, please visit the VIN Inspections page.
  2. Proof of insurance.
  3. Picture I.D.
  4. Most recent registration.

Both owners of the vehicle will need to come in if the title reads 'and' or has no designation between the names.

Once you arrive at the Treasurer's office and pay the registration fees and property taxes you will receive your plate and registration. To calculate your personal property taxes, please visit the New Vehicle Purchase Fees page.

Please Note: This only calculates personal property taxes and not any applicable registration fees or sales tax.

Your Kansas title will be mailed to you if there is not a lien against the vehicle. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. If there is a lien, the title will be electronic and will not be printed until the lien is paid off.

To apply for a duplicate title you will need to fill out a duplicate title application (TR-720B), and we will need a copy of your registration. 

Duplicate titles can be process via mail or in person at one of our offices.  The State of Kansas will print and mail your title, and you should receive your title within 7-10 days.