Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Info 211

How Do I...


I have lost my title. How do I obtain a duplicate?

I have lost my title. How do I obtain a duplicate?

If there is a lien holder on file with the Kansas Division of Vehicles for the vehicle, a duplicate title application cannot be issued as long as the lien holder is indicated on the vehicle's computer record. To determine if there is a lien holder listed on the vehicle record look at the latest registration receipt issued for the vehicle or trailer. If there is a lien holder listed, a lien release will be required before the Division of Vehicles will issue a title (it will be a reissue title to remove the lien holder from the computer record and the title). (Exception, moving out of state).

If there is no lien holder for the vehicle, a duplicate title application can be completed at any county treasurer's office or by mailing directly to the Titles and Registrations Bureau. You will need to complete the Application for Secured/Duplicate/Reissue Title, form VCO/TR-720B that includes the following information: vehicle year, make and identification number, owner's name(s) the current odometer reading and your signature. Include appropriate title fee.

NOTE: If the title was issued prior to 2003 and you have an out of state lien holder, check the upper left portion of the receipt for application for Kansas title for "SMO to Lienholder". If there is and SMO (Special Mailing Order) noted on the application, the title was mailed to the lien holder. If the lien is paid off, contact the lien holder concerning the title.

If the title was printed but not mailed to the lien holder or the lien holder does not have the title, you will need a lien release and make application for a "reissued" title that will remove the lien enabling a title to be printed.

Department Contacts

Name Job Title Phone Number Email Address
Tax Questions 785-832-5178
Motor Vehicle Questions 785-832-5273