How do I apply for a refund for a vehicle that was sold, traded, etc.?
Once you have signed over the title to someone else the owner (seller) can apply for a refund in the County in which the fees were paid.
The owner will need to bring in the following:
- License Plate
- Drivers License / I.D. Card
- Social Security Number (SSN) or Passport ID Number
- Current Registration (Please Note: If you do not have one, a duplicate registration can printed for $1.00)
For a vehicle that is now registered in another state?:
If you have recently moved to another state, you can apply for a refund of the remaining property taxes.
The owner will need to bring in or mail in the following:
- The License Plate (unless the other state requires you turn it in)
- Copy of the owners Out of State Drivers License
- Copy of the Out of State Registration for that vehicle
- Current KS registration (Please Note: If you do not have one, a duplicate registration can printed for $1.00)
- Refund Form TR-210 (PDF format)
- Out of State Refund Instruction Sheet (PDF format)
Please Note: Refunds are calculated on the date ALL the documentation is complete. If it is your month of renewal there would not be a refund.
Mail all information to:
- Douglas County Treasurer
- P.O. Box 884
- Lawrence, KS 66044-0884