Severe Weather Preparedness
Take steps to be prepared for severe weather.
Take Steps to Be Prepared for Severe Weather
Watch vs. Warning:
WATCH: Conditions are favorable for severe weather to develop. Action: Be alert to changing weather conditions. Review your plan.
WARNING: Severe weather is imminent. Action: Take cover!
Make a Plan:
Identify where to take cover when a warning is issued:
- Go to the lowest level of your home/building, in an interiror room that has no windows.
- Get under something sturdy, if possible.
- Make sure everyone in your household knows the plan and practice it annually.
- Ensure you can contact them following an emergency (via text message, out-of-town contact person, etc.)
Have a Kit:
Pack a bag or container with:
- 3 days of water & non-perishable food
- AM/FM radio and/or weather radio
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Personal hygiene items & extra clothes
- Special items (medications, insurance/medical paperwork, identification, etc.)
Identify how you will receive watches/warnings via multiple sources:
- NOAA Weather Radio
- Local television & radio stations
- Douglas County's Call Notification System (http://bit.ly/DgCoNotification)
- Outdoor warning sirens
- There is no "all clear" siren. Monitor local media outlets for information about when the threat has passed.
More resources from Douglas County Emergency Management.