Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Info 211

How Do I...


Property Crimes Compensation Fund

If you have been an innocent victim of a property crime and have suffered financial losses not covered by insurance or any other source, the Douglas County Property Compensation Fund may be of assistance to you.

1. The incident occurred in Douglas County, Kansas.

2. An individual who has suffered property damage as a victim of a property crime.

3. Compensation may not be awarded unless the local board finds the victim has fully cooperated with appropriate law enforcement agencies. The local board may deny an award for compensation for noncooperativeness. 19-4804 (d)

4. A victim may seek compensation whether or not an offender has been charged with the crime which resulted in the victim’s loss.

5. Amounts awarded are subject to the sole discretion and the majority vote of the Property Crimes Compensation Board. On or after April 1, 2010.

6. Claims must be filed with any other available agencies including home or automobile insurance. Claimants must cooperate with any necessary follow through requested by the agency or insurer.

7. Compensation may not be awarded unless the crime was reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency within 72 hours of its discovery and the claim was filed with the local board within 60 days of the filing of the report. The local board can find, in rare instances, good cause for the failure to report a crime within the required time period. 19-4804 (b)

8. Compensation may not be awarded to a victim who was the offender or an accomplice of the offender and may not be awarded to another person if the award would unjustly benefit the offender or accomplice. 19-4804 (c)

9. Compensation may be awarded only if the local board finds a genuine need is present. 19-4804 (f)

10. Victims will be provided assistance, if needed, in completing the Property Crimes Compensation application and/or the Crime Victims Compensation application forms.

11. Once your completed application has been received and reviewed, you will be notified in writing of the Board’s decision. The complete application process will take approximately 60 days.

Medical, funeral, and burial expenses are not covered under the Property Crimes Compensation Program. Contact the Office of Kansas Attorney General, Crime Victim’s Compensation Board at (785) 296-2359 for more information or you can pick up an application at your local law enforcement agency or the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office.


*Overall maximum award for a misdemeanor crime--$250

*Overall maximum award for a felony crime $500.

Contact a Douglas County Victim/Witness Coordinator to learn more about your rights as a victim or log on to statute 19-4804.