Skip to contentSkip to navigation

How do I file a small claims case?

Small claims cases are filed in the Clerk's office, using forms available in the lobby and online at Small Claims. An instruction booklet, which details filing and post-judgment procedures, can be obtained in the Clerk's office. The maximum dollar value that can be requested in a small claims case is $4000, and the amount of the filing fee depends on the amount of damages for which you are suing. For damages up to $500, the filing fee is $49. For damages of $500.01 - $4000, the filing fee is $69. You must also provide a sheriff's service fee, which is a separate payment of $5 for each address to be served.

Department Contacts

Name Job Title Phone Number Email Address
Douglas A. Hamilton Clerk of the District Court
Amber Ballard Supervisor / Jury Manager 785-832-5111
Rachel Lavelle Supervisor 785-832-5255
Evie Schlife Accounting Technician 785-832-5252
Beverly Sigafoose Juvenile Clerk 785-832-5253
Brian Garton Jury Clerk 785-832-5213
Cindy Winger Traffic Clerk 785-832-5231
Emily Krichati Domestic Clerk / Marriage License / PFA Administrative Assistant 785-832-5227
Jordan Moore Records / Juvenile Clerk 785-832-5141
Kassandra Meyer Limited Civil Clerk 785-832-5257
Michael Preut Criminal Clerk 785-832-5236
Stephanie Weeks Major Civil Clerk 785-832-5228
Brenda Hensley-Hughes Probate / Adoptions Clerk 785-832-5132
Rachell Orce Appeals / Small Claims / Liens Clerk 785-832-5254
Jury Service Recording 785-832-5108