Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Info 211

How Do I...


Do I qualify for a homestead property tax refund?

The Kansas Homestead Refund Act provides a refund to Kansans who own their homes or pay rent and meet ONE of the following three requirements:

  1. you must have been 55 years of age or older on January 1 of the tax year, or,
  2. you must have been totally and permanently disabled or blind during the entire tax year, regardless of age; or,
  3. you must have had one or more dependent children residing with you the entire year, regardless of your age. At least one dependent child must have been born on or before January 1 of the tax year and must have been under 18 years of age the entire year.

In addition, you must meet ALL of the following requirements. As a Kansas resident for all of 2010, you are eligible for a refund of up to $700 if your total "household income" is $30,800 or less, AND:

  • you were born before January 1, 1955, OR
  • you were totally and permanently disabled or blind for the entire year of 2010, OR
  • you have a dependent child who lived with you the entire year that was born before January 1, 2010, and was under the age of 18 all of 2010, OR
  • you are a disabled veteran (50% or more disability), or the surviving spouse of a disabled veteran who has not remarried, or the surviving spouse of an active duty military personnel who died in the line of duty and not remarried.

"Household income" is generally all taxable and non-taxable income received by all members of the household.

Assistance and additional information on these tax refunds and credits are available from the Kansas Dept. of Revenue, Docking State Office Building, 915 SW Harrison Street, 1st floor, Topeka, KS 66625; Phone 785-368-8222; Hearing Impaired TTY 785-296-6461.