Douglas County was named in honor of Stephen A. Douglas, United States Senator from Illinois, and candidate for the presidency in 1860. As a Senator in 1854, Douglas took a leading part in securing the adoption of the "popular sovereignty" principle in the Act organizing Kansas Territory, which gave the particular form of the issue involved in the Kansas struggle.
Source(s): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_A._Douglas, http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=D000457
After helping start many schools in other parts of the country, John Baldwin & family moved to Kansas in 1857. John's goal was to help with the establishment of a new school being built by the Methodist Church. When Baldwin came to Kansas he built a grist mill, a saw mill, and a carding mill, all water powered. His mills brought people to either work in the mills or build shops of their own. His steam mill was of great help in the development of the new town, and the town quickly developed around the mills. The city fathers recognized John Baldwin's impact on the community and named the new town after him.
Eudora was founded by a committee of German immigrants who were seeking a new home for themselves and their friends. The committee found land, near the junction of the Kaw and Wakarusa Rivers, that seemed ideal. In April of 1857 they purchased the land from Paschal Fish, a Shawnee chief who was related to Tecumseh. The town was named for Paschal's daughter, Eudora.
Kansas was named in honor of the Kanza Nation, a powerful Native American nation noted as far back as 1673. Father Marquette inscribed the name of the "Kanza" nation on his map of 1673. On October 5, 1859, a treaty was made by which a portion of the tribal reservation was set apart, and assigned in severalty to various individuals of the tribe.On May 8, 1872, an act was passed for the appraisal and sale of their lands, and their final removal from the State of Kansas to their reservation in Indian Territory, where they are now located. Their number is now (1882) reduced to about two hundred, a feeble, poverty-stricken remnant of the powerful nation from which the fair State of Kansas derived its name.
"The Emigrant Aid Company" was formed in Massachusetts, whose purpose was to encourage and aid emigration to Kansas. Many leading men joined in the movement. Amos A. Lawrence, of Boston, a man of wealth, honor and large influence, was prominent among those who gave the movement not only their sanction, but their active cooperation. These men never faltered in the long struggle, but were always ready with voice and purse to help the cause along.
Lecompton was originally called "Bald Eagle", but then later changed to Lecompton in honor of Samuel D. Lecompte, the chief justice of the territorial supreme court in 1855. After leaving the supreme court bench, Lecompte became a prominent on the bench of Leavenworth County, and a representative in both houses of the Legislature.
Lecompton was founded in 1854 and planted on a bluff on the south bank of the Kansas River. It was originally called "Bald Eagle", but the name was changed to Lecompton in honor of Samuel Lecompte, the chief justice of the territorial supreme court. In the spring of 1855, the town became the capital of the Kansas Territory. President James Buchanan appointed a governor and officials to establish government offices in Lecompton, and construction began on an elegant capitol building.