Skip to content Skip to navigation

Motor Vehicles FAQ

What is considered a Motorized Bicycle (Moped)?

A motorized bicycle is defined in KSA 8-126(aa) as, a device having two tandem wheels OR three wheels, which may be propelled by either human power, helper power, or by both, and which has ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:

  1. A motor which produces not more than 3.5 brake horsepower; *and*
  2. a cylinder capacity of not more than 130 cc (cubic centimeters); *and*
  3. an automatic transmission; *and*
  4. the capability of a maximum design speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.

Any two or three wheeled vehicle which:

Where do I register my Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV)?

Commercial Motor Vehicles Services are now available in Douglas County!

Douglas County is now processing Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV)

CMV hours 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Tuesday - Thursday. Only at our downtown location at 1100 Massachusetts Lawrence, KS 66044

To setup an appointment outside CMV regular hours please call 785-832-5176 or e-mail.


For a detailed explanation of Kansas Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) and USDOT requirements go to

Who must sign the title assignment or application for title and registration or when there is "and", "and/or" and "or" between the names?

And: All persons listed before and after the "and" must sign. &/or: Either the person before or after the "& / or", "and / or" can sign, only one signature required. Or: Either the person before or after the "or" can sign, only one signature is required.

Due to difficulties with other titling jurisdictions interpretation of "and/or" differently than that from Kansas, it is suggested that if you want only one (1) person to be allowed to sign all transactions for a vehicle, the word "or" be used between names.

Why do I have to show insurance on each vehicle?

You will need to exhibit proof of insurance to the treasurer. The proof of insurance must have: the name of the insurance company, the policy number, name of the vehicle owner, the effective and expiration date of the coverage, the year, make and VIN for the vehicle being renewed. You will need proof of insurance for each vehicle. If a trailer does not have its own coverage, the trailer will use the insurance of the vehicle that will be towing the trailer. State law K.S.A 40-3107 requires proof of insurance as a prerequisite to motor vehicle registration.