Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Regulations and Fees FAQ

Can I build a second house on my property?

Only one residence is allowed per land tract.

A recent change to the zoning regulations has allowed an option to create additional housing while maintaining the rural character of unincorporated Douglas County. Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU) are intended to provide an independent living area for residents with health issues or disabilities, in close proximity to a caretaker, and provide housing for persons employed on a farm.

How do I subdivide or plat my property?

The best way to subdivide property is to utilize the services of a professional land surveyor or multi-disciplined consulting firm. The local regulations can be complicated and, in addition, various state laws and regulations require certain activities be performed by licensed professionals. If you have specific questions regarding the process you may contact the Lawrence - Douglas County Planning office located in the Lawrence City Hall at 6th Street and Massachusetts Street, Lawrence, Kansas or you may telephone that office at 785-832-3150.