No, the employees of the District Attorney's Office cannot offer legal advice or act on behalf of individuals. Our office can provide general information and direct you to the appropriate agencies. You may wish to contact a private attorney for additional information. Or, for general information and lawyer referral services, contact the Kansas Bar Association online at https://www.ksbar.org, by calling 785-234-5696, or by calling toll-free 1-800-928-3111 for lawyer referral services.
Consumer Protection FAQ
The Direct Marketing Association Consumer Assistance website contains detailed information about their free Mail and e-Mail Preference Services which are designed to reduce targeted advertising.
- You can visit http://www.donotcall.gov or call toll free 1-888-382-1222 from the telephone you would like to register. You are able to register both cell phones and landlines. Once you register your telephone number, telemarketers covered by the Do Not Call Registry have up to 31 days to stop calling you. After 31 days if a telemarketer covered by the Do Not Call Registry continues to call you, you may file a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) or with the Kansas Attorney General's Office.
Considerations for selecting a contractor, mechanic or repairman.
If you are buying a new or used car consumers should know the following tips:
Many charities provide valuable services for people. Unfortunately, there are some solicitors that take advantage of individuals who really want to donate money for a good cause. The following are suggestions by our office that may help you in determining which charity to give to:
- First, try and resolve the matter on your own with the business to whom your complaint is against.
- If you do not receive any results, please contact our office at 785-330-2849 and request a consumer complaint form, or you can also print our form from our website. When submitting a complaint form to our office, we ask you please include any and all documentation you have to help support your claim.
Our office, through enforcement of the Kansas Consumer Protection Act, identifies and investigates deceptive and unconscionable acts committed by area merchants against consumers within Douglas County. Some areas of fraud that our office will investigate are:
Our office is given statutory authority for investigating consumer fraud. However, the Kansas Consumer Protection Act generally does not authorize our office to act on behalf of consumers who have problems in certain areas:
The Kansas Consumer Protection Act, KSA 50-640, refers to door-to-door sales, cancellation and required disclosures. According to the statute the consumer has the right to cancel a door-to-door sale made within this state until midnight of the third business day after the day on which the consumer signs an agreement or offer to purchase goods or services.
- Office of the District Attorney
- Location: The Judicial & Law Enforcement Center
- Address: 111 E. 11th Street, Unit 100, Lawrence, Kansas 66044-2912
- Phone: 785-841-0211
- Fax: 785-832-8202
- District Attorney's Webpage