Skip to content Skip to navigation

Noxious Weeds and Sensitive Crops FAQ

What chemicals will work for my situation?

Chemical control is not the only method to treat noxious weeds. If you decide to spray your noxious weeds you can participate in the cost share program through the Douglas County Noxious Weed Department. Chemicals are sold for the treatment of noxious weeds only. Private landowners can purchase 2-4D, Tordon 22K, Roundup Ultra, and Remedy at 75% of the County's purchase price. If you have any questions please call the Douglas County Noxious Weed Department at 785-331-1331. 

What weeds are considered "noxious"?

The Kansas noxious weed law identifies 13 weeds as being noxious that must be controlled. Common infestations in Douglas County are Musk thistle, Johnson grass, Field bindweed, and Sericea lespedeza.

Bull thistle is currently under consideration to be added to the list.

Weed identification and/or treatment plans can be discussed or resolved with the Agricultural Agent at the Douglas County Extension Office. 

When is the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility open? Which wastes are eligible to be dropped off? Where is it?

The Lawrence/Douglas County Household Hazardous Waste Facility is accepting hazardous waste from Douglas County households throughout the year by appointment. Please call the Lawrence Waste Reduction & Recycling Division at 785-832-3030 to schedule a drop-off appointment for any unwanted paint, pesticides, automotive products, cleaners, old mercury thermometers, and batteries. Also please visit our website at for more information on hazardous waste.