Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Info 211

How Do I...


Titles and 60 day Tags FAQ

Can I register a vehicle even if my name is not on the title?

Yes, HOWEVER, you will need required documents in order to register the vehicle if your name is not on the title.

1. Have the purchaser sign the back of the title where it says Buyer Signature/Purchaser Signature. Print off a TR-212a and have the purchaser sign at the bottom of the form where it says Owner's Signature. Bring in the title documents, proof of insurance, signature form (TR-212a), and payment, and we will register the vehicle without the owner in the office.


How do I take a lien off of my title?

NOTE: You are NOT REQUIRED to obtain a reissued title after the lien is satisfied (paid off).You can sell the vehicle with your title that shows a lien holder on the front if you have a release of lien from the lien holder, giving both to the buyer. However, if the title and the lien release are lost, a new lien release will be required before making application for a reissued title, which will be used as the replacement title.

I have lost my title. How do I obtain a duplicate?

If there is a lien holder on file with the Kansas Division of Vehicles for the vehicle, a duplicate title application cannot be issued as long as the lien holder is indicated on the vehicle's computer record. To determine if there is a lien holder listed on the vehicle record look at the latest registration receipt issued for the vehicle or trailer. If there is a lien holder listed, a lien release will be required before the Division of Vehicles will issue a title (it will be a reissue title to remove the lien holder from the computer record and the title).

Why do I have to show insurance on each vehicle?

You will need to exhibit proof of insurance to the treasurer. The proof of insurance must have: the name of the insurance company, the policy number, name of the vehicle owner, the effective and expiration date of the coverage, the year, make and VIN for the vehicle being renewed. You will need proof of insurance for each vehicle. If a trailer does not have its own coverage, the trailer will use the insurance of the vehicle that will be towing the trailer. State law K.S.A 40-3107 requires proof of insurance as a prerequisite to motor vehicle registration.