Skip to content Skip to navigation

Officer Information and Types of Supervision

Who is my Officer?

Your Juvenile Services Officer (JSO) will work closely with you while you are being supervised by DCYS. The officer’s job is to make sure you are following the rules and help you if you make a bad choice. It is important that you stay in regular contact with your officer. If you are not able to attend an appointment, it is your responsibility to contact your officer to reschedule.




E-Mail Address

Holly Myers Assistant Director 785-331-1310
Jennifer Cornelius  Juvenile Services Officer 785-331-1309
Kate Holman Juvenile Services Officer 785-331-1308
Robin Rooks Juvenile Services Officer 785-331-1306
Rick West Juvenile Services Officer 785-331-1319

Attorney Information

Your attorney might be appointed by the court, or you may retain your own attorney. Keep that information for future reference as you may need to contact your attorney.

Types of Supervision

Condition of Release (CORs) -

Conditions of Release allows a youth to be supervised in the community while waiting to appear in court. You could be assigned to CORs at two different points:

Pre Adjudication – Adjudication is another word for being charged and convicted of a crime. If you are arrested and placed in detention, the district attorney may allow you to be released if you agree to follow certain rules. Your officer will meet with you and your parent(s) to go over the rules with you and explain what you need to do. Your JSO will also talk to you and your parents about how you’re doing in general. We will NOT ask you to explain what you did that caused you to be arrested. This is because you have not been found guilty of any crime yet. It is your right to remain silent, or not share anything about your charges.

Pre Sentence – If you are assigned to CORs before sentencing, you have already either pled to or were found guilty of an offense. The court has also probably ordered your JSO to do a report called a presentence investigation (PSI). Your JSO will gather as much information as possible about you and make a recommendation to the court about what your sentence should be. At this point, your JSO will ask you what happened that caused you to be charged with a crime.

Your JSO will tell the court how you did while on CORs; the things you did well and the things that you need to improve on. How you do while on CORs can affect what happens at sentencing.

Order of Assignment

Order of Assignment means you are on probation with Douglas County Youth Services. At sentencing, the judge will tell you how long you are going to be on probation and any special rules you will need to follow. If you are not following the rules, the judge may extend your probation.

House Arrest

House Arrest is like being in jail at home. You may not leave your house without your JSO’s permission. At home means you are inside the house, not in the yard, driveway, etc. Your JSO will allow you more time outside the house as you show that you are following the rules. While you are on House Arrest, it is important that your JSO know where you are at all times. You could be arrested and placed in detention if you violate your House Arrest Order.

Conditional Release

Conditional Release applies to youth who have been released from a juvenile correctional facility (JCF). As part of your sentence, the court orders that you be supervised after your release. The length of conditional release can range from 3 months to 24 months. If you violate the rules on Conditional Release, you could be sent back to the JCF.

Department of Corrections (DOC) Custody

The court orders DOC custody if it determines that you need more supervision than your parents can provide. If you are in DOC custody, your JSO will make the decision about where you will live. Soon after you are placed in custody, your JSO will work with you and your parents to develop a plan to help you succeed. The goals of your plan could be:

Reintegration – This means that the plan is for you to return home. Your JSO will work with you and your family to figure out what things need to improve so you can live at home again. You can show your JSO that you are ready to return home by following the rules at your placement and when you visit your parents. Your JSO will set up passes with your family. Your JSO will not keep you from seeing your parents but if you aren’t following the rules, it will affect what kind of pass you can have.

Other Planned Permanent Living Arrangement (OPPLA) – This means that the plan is for you to live some place other than your parent’s home until you become an adult. If OPPLA is your goal, your JSO will work with you to develop a plan to help you learn to live on your own. You will still be allowed to have contact with your family but the focus will be on you learning the skills and resources that will help prepare you for adulthood.

Dual Case Plan – If the court orders a dual case plan, returning to your family home is still a possibility, but you will also be working on learning to live on your own. Your JSO will be working with you and your family to determine what is best for you.

If the court places you in DOC custody and you are not living at home, your parents could be required to pay child support to the State of Kansas. Your parents may have to pay child support long after you have returned home to repay the State of Kansas for what it spent on you during placement.