K.S.A. 25-2309 Citizenship Registration Requirement: Beginning January 1, 2013, anyone registering to vote in Kansas for the first time is required to provide a qualified document attesting United States citizenship before they are registered to vote.
- If you do not provide a copy of your citizenship document by *midnight* the day before Election Day, you are not eligible to vote.
- If you do not provide a copy of your citizenship document within 90 days of submitting your voter registration application, your application will be cancelled and you will be required to submit a new voter registration application.
- Voters previously canceled for whatever reason by any Kansas county are considered a new voter and must complete a new Kansas voter registration application and provide proof of citizenship, unless your documentation is already on file. Contact our office if you have questions about your eligibility.
- If registered before January 1, 2013 and you have remained active, you do not need to show proof of citizenship. Transferring your voter registration between counties without cancelling your voter registration does not require citizenship documentation.
Registrants who fail to present appropriate documentation when they initially register to vote have until midnight the day before an election to submit proof of citizenship and vote in that next election.
- Until we receive your documentation, your voter registration will be held in suspense status for 90 days from your initial registration attempt.
- Note: If you submitted your proof of citizenship when you updated your driver's license, confirm your voting status with the Election Office. If you have not received your "Certificate of Registration" in the mail, contact the Election Office to confirm your registration status.
The Election Office only needs a copy of your citizenship document; you can mail, fax, or scan/email a copy of your proof of citizenship to our office. Any Kansas government office is required to provide a free photocopy of your documentation for submission to our office.
Check your voter registration prior to Election Day with our Voter Registration Lookup Tool; you can also contact our office if you want to confirm your registration information.