Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Info 211

How Do I...


Vehicle Inspections

Vehicle inspections in Douglas County, Kansas.

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Inspections are required in Kansas if:

  • A vehicle has a title from a state other than Kansas or a foreign country;
  • A vehicle has been assembled, reconstructed, reconstituted or restored from one or more vehicles;
  • The proper VIN of a vehicle is in doubt;
  • A vehicle is being sold on a bill of sale as an antique and it is a 1950 model year or newer;
  • A vehicle is going from a non-highway or salvage title to a formerly non-highway or rebuilt salvage.

This inspection must be completed before the Kansas Department of Revenue will issue a license tag or title for the vehicle.

The VIN inspections are conducted by trained law enforcement personnel employed by the Highway Patrol or designated law enforcement agencies across the state. The majority of these inspections are conducted at a fixed location in each county.

Here is the contact information for the VIN inspection offices in Douglas County, Kansas:

Kansas Highway Patrol - VIN Inspection Office

Baldwin City Police Department

Please bring the following items with you:

  1. The vehicle that needs to have the inspection.
  2. A valid driver's license.
  3. The title to the vehicle - If your lienholder has possession of your title please call them and mail it to Douglas County Treasurer 1100 Massachusetts St. Lawrence, KS 66049. We need the actual title cannot proceed without it. .
  4. There is a $20.00 fee. For prior salvage and salvage vehicles there is a $25.00 fee. The inspection fee will be paid when you register the vehicle. 

Department Contacts

Name Job Title Phone Number Email Address
Tax Questions 785-832-5178
Motor Vehicle Questions 785-832-5273