Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Info 211

How Do I...


How do I register a vehicle with an E-Lien?

I just bought a vehicle and the seller does not have the title because there is a lien on it and it is an E-Lien record. How do I register the vehicle?

The seller will need to submit a Notarized Lien release to the Department of Revenue or the County Treasurer's office for the title to be printed. In the interim the seller can sign a TR-39a: Electronic Title Sales Agreement' and a 'TR-40: P.O.A., Purchase Price and ODS for Electronic Title' to you and give you a copy of their registration. Once the seller has signed the TR-39a form the purchaser can come in with the TR-39a, proof of insurance, the seller's registration and their Driver's License to purchase a 60-day permit while waiting for the title to be printed. After the title is printed the seller will sign the title over to the purchaser OR the title can be mailed directly to the purchaser and he/she can use the TR-40 to sign the title over to themselves.

Department Contacts

Name Job Title Phone Number Email Address
Tax Questions 785-832-5178
Motor Vehicle Questions 785-832-5273