Severe Weather Planning For Businesses
Build your severe weather plan today with these steps.
- Identify how you will receive severe weather information (More than one way is encouraged):
- Designate at least one main person and a back up to receive the notification
- Multiple shifts/sites: Be sure to plan for each shift/site
- Identify ways to continue to receive updates while taking shelter
- NOAA Weather Radio and/or AM/FM Radio
Notifying Employees and Visitors
Define the process for notifying all employees and visitors.
- When to notify: severe thunderstorm or tornado watch or warning
- How will you notify employees and visitors?
- How will you account for employees and visitors when you take shelter?
Basic shelter guidance:
- Identify a room(s) on the lowest level of the building, in an interior room, with no windows
- Be sure it can hold your employees and visitors
- Label your shelter(s) with some kind of signage
Your plan can only be effective if everyone knows how to put it into action. At your next staff meeting, discuss your plan and practice it. You should also determine a regular time to review it with employees.
Once you take shelter, plan ahead for needs on your employees and visitors. Collect basic supplies to keep in or near your shelter.
We recommend having some basic supplies in your designated shelter.
- Flashlight w/ extra batteries
- Basic First Aid Kit
- NOAA WX Radio and/or AM/FM Radio
- **List of employees and their contact information in case of an emergency
Getting everyone to safety is your first priority, but there are other things to consider.
- Are your business files backed up off site or online?
- Have you reviewed your insurance policy and do you understand what it covers?
- What happens if your business is damaged, and you must close to a time?
- How do you notify employees? Will they continue to be paid?
- How will you notify suppliers of this change?
These are just a few of the questions that should be considered and put into a Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP). This plan covers any type of business interruption - fire, flood, tornado, power outage, etc.
If you have questions or would like assistance with these plans, contact our office today! Staff will be happy to assist you!