Skip to contentSkip to navigation

Protection from Abuse Cases

  • As the person filing the petition, you are the plaintiff. There can only be one adult plaintiff per petition. Please provide your name, birthdate, address, phone number, and email where you can be reached.


  • The defendant is the person that you are seeking protection from. You may only have one defendant per petition, unless the defendant is a minor child. Please provide defendant’s first and last name, date of birth, addresses, and their physical description.


  • If you are wanting protection for your children:

    • Please list them as plaintiffs after your name.

    • You must fill out the UCCJEA Form- Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act Form. If you are filling out the UCCJEA form, be sure to fill out box #3. Box #3 is very important! 


  • If the defendant is a minor child, please write “by and through their parent” i.e. “Carl Smith Jr., minor, by and through parent, Carl Smith Sr.”.


  • Please answer question #1 on the petition. This question is asking who you are seeking to protect: yourself, minor children, or yourself and minor children.


  • The information you provide on question #5 on the PFA form and question #6 on the PFS form is the only information that the judge will have to base their decision on. The judges do not have access to police reports, unless you provide them with your petition. Please be as detailed as possible. If you need additional room to answer, do not write on the back of the pages, instead write on new paper.


  • Fill out the petition to the best of your abilities by answering every question. You may also fill out the petition using the online portal


  • Sign the petition before turning it in.


If you are being abused by an intimate partner or member of your household, you may seek a restraining order by filing a Protection from Abuse (PFA) case.



The State of Kansas has created an online portal for filing for a PFA. 


The Clerk of the District Court provides the forms and instructions for filing a PFA. To get to more information about PFA orders and the process, please download the Protection from Abuse Forms and Instructions document. You also may file a PFA on behalf of your child or a child living with you.

Department Contacts

Name Job Title Phone Number Email Address
Douglas A. Hamilton Clerk of the District Court
Amber Ballard Supervisor / Jury Manager 785-832-5111
Rachel Lavelle Supervisor 785-832-5255
Evie Schlife Accounting Technician 785-832-5252
Beverly Sigafoose Juvenile Clerk 785-832-5253
Brian Garton Jury Clerk 785-832-5213
Cindy Winger Traffic Clerk 785-832-5231
Emily Krichati Domestic Clerk / Marriage License / PFA Administrative Assistant 785-832-5227
Jordan Moore Records / Juvenile Clerk 785-832-5141
Kassandra Meyer Limited Civil Clerk 785-832-5257
Michael Preut Criminal Clerk 785-832-5236
Stephanie Weeks Major Civil Clerk 785-832-5228
Brenda Hensley-Hughes Probate / Adoptions Clerk 785-832-5132
Rachell Orce Appeals / Small Claims / Liens Clerk 785-832-5254
Jury Service Recording 785-832-5108